1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

David Fiedler

MapMyRide having significant problems

By November 9, 2012

California bike route map san jose to newcastleDo you use any of the bike route mapping tools that are out there?  These nifty programs can track your rides in real time, using an app on your smart phone so you can do a post-ride evaluation to see your time, distance, average speed, actual path taken, etc.

They are also really handy when used as a planning tool prior to any actual riding, where you map out potential routes and then save them for later or generate maps and cue sheets for yourself and others.

MapMyRide.com had been my favorite for a long time, but lately they've run into the ditch.  Paid users, myself included, have experienced major problems generating PDFs of maps, which of course is a main reason for subscribing to the site. Support has been non-existent and the site's community forums have been full of complaining user posts and reports of membership cancellations. It's even gotten to the point that one frustrated user posted a link to the Colorado Attorney General's Office so that others could make official record of their complaints with the state.

"They ruined a great mapping product, they seem uninterested in really fixing it, and their customer support is laughable," said a user who goes by the name of Melman. "I haven't added a ride to MapMyRide in months. I use ridewithgps now. I continue to watch the posts and questions here to see when MapMyRide finally turns out the lights. "

This post isn't just to kick at MapMyRide.com, but it is significant how much the product has declined.  The good news is that there are several good options.  One I've discovered recently is ride with GPS, which I used to create this route here, marking landmarks and other attractions along the way.

Any favorite programs that you use to either track or create your ride routes?  Comment below.

Related articles

Comments

November 29, 2012 at 11:04 am
(1) Justine says:

Gracious! And I thought it was just me (or, rather, my computer) that was having an issue with MapMyRun/Ride. I have not been able to print out a map since summer! I hope they’ll take the public calling out to heart and fix their issues; but, I still find them a good tool for mapping ahead of time (esp. if I’m working toward a certain mileage) and then just writing down the bare bones of directions to get me there. I’ve only gotten lost once doing this — LOL! I do not have any fancy GPS tools or the such, so MMR is all I have to work with right now.

December 2, 2012 at 11:08 am
(2) Walter says:

I use Strava

February 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm
(3) Cohen says:

I couldn’t even get it to work, or bookmark an existing route. Anything I tried didn’t replace a search I did 3 years ago in Montreal. I guess I will switch to another program altogether. all I’m trying to do is map the Katy Trail, which should exist in 400 different forms already – how frustrating!!!!

May 31, 2013 at 2:57 pm
(4) Chris Glode says:

Hi,

Sorry that some of you had a bad experience, and worse, were unable to get quality support. We’ve revamped the mapping tools recently as well as our support capability, I’d love to have you give it another try and let us know if you have any issues at support.mapmyfitness.com

David, if you can reach out to me personally I’d be happy to give you a trial of our new MVP premium membership program and map printing tools.

Best,
Chris

June 8, 2013 at 3:33 pm
(5) Daniel says:

Using a Iphone5 I cannot get the app paired with the garmin heartrate and speed&cadence sensors. I equiped my phone with a lightning to 30-pin adapter and a ANT+ garmin adapter but bluetooth does not reconize either of the devices

August 13, 2013 at 4:55 am
(6) Mike says:

Aug 13 and I still can’t load .gpx files from my tracking app. Yes their support is useless. I sent a file with a support note and they said they were aware of a problem of files without time data – but this file both had time data and is one that loaded fine before they made some changes. So they did not even look at the file or try to address their problem. I am now using Strava – that has considerably more users. The files also load fine into Google Earth. Strava analyses your file much faster but their tracking app is limited and falls over regularly (so I use a different app) . However I do still use MapMyRide to create routes to load into my app. Great shame. Can’t see the problem taking more than a hour or two to solve by a decent programmer.