1. Sports

David Fiedler

Tyler Hamilton Says Lance Armstrong Was a Doper

By May 20, 2011

In an interview that aired on CBS Sunday night, Tyler Hamilton declared he saw Lance Armstrong use EPO on multiple occasions.

Hamilton, a former teammate of Armstrong and himself an admitted user of performance enhancing drugs, says Armstrong used EPO, a drug that boosted endurance by increasing the amount of red blood cells in his body, to win the 1999 Tour de France, the race he won an astonishing seven times. "I saw [EPO] in his refrigerator...I saw him inject it more than one time like we all did, like I did many, many times."

On the heels of similar accusations by another former teammate, Frankie Andreu, that has come out in the course of an on-going federal investigation, it looks like Lance is in a lot of trouble, though he continues to deny the accusations, both in Twitter messages ("20+ year career. 500 drug controls worldwide, in and out of competition. Never a failed test. I rest my case.") and on a website called Facts4Lance.

However, lying under oath in an investigation like this will send a person to the slammer, and somebody here isn't telling the truth.

What do you think? Is Lance telling the truth? Did he race clean or not?  Comment below.

Related links

| Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter Signup | Discussion Forum |

Comments

May 22, 2011 at 8:03 pm
(1) Armstrongsuks says:

He is the biggest lying athlete there is , he needs to man up and suffer the consequenses

May 24, 2011 at 4:39 pm
(2) wb says:

After reading an article by Michael Shermer, I was convinced that everybody who remained competitive in cycling after the mid-1990′s was doping with EPO and/or other substances. There was a huge increase in performance and those who didn’t dope just had to drop out. But since there wasn’t a test for EPO, the test was whether an athlete’s hematocrit was below a high limit. Above that, you can have serious side effects including dying in your sleep. EPO is produced naturally by our bodies to keep your hematocrit up. If you give yourself the right small amount it is no more dangerous than training at altitude (which cyclists do) and sleeping in a hypobaric chamber (which Lance and others admit doing) to keep your hematocrit up. Anyway, it would be unsurprising to find out ANY professional cyclist doped. And in fact, very surprising if they didn’t.

May 24, 2011 at 10:23 pm
(3) Mike Hanns says:

The whole doping thing is getting old. If everyone was doing it, then it seems to me no ones getting an edge. Whether Armstrongs guilty or not, hes done a lot of good work over the years. Who knows, but I think Hamilton is like the Jose Canseco of cycling and we all know Canseco is a POS for being a snitch.

May 25, 2011 at 5:14 am
(4) mike says:

Junior high school rule: When caught doing something bad, always blame someone else. Innuendo, especially by people who have been caught drugging, does not equal guilt. Until a Lance test proves positive, or he publicly admits he took drugs, he is not guilty.

May 25, 2011 at 10:17 am
(5) Joe says:

I distinctly remember following Tyler’s blog and how he SCREAMED his innocence in poignant prose, the whole ‘vanishing twin’ theory, how his dog died, etc… He was so earnest, so trustworthy, so lying through his teeth. And now he suddenly has credibility? Why would 60 Minutes put him on air? (hint: ratings…)

May 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm
(6) davew says:

I lean in the direction of “no positive test, no definitive conclusion” That said, if the current presumption is that all elite cyclists are guilty because some have proven to be, then to remove the awards from Lance would only be giving it to the next doper on the list. Perhaps they should nullify the results of all major races from 1995 to the present.

May 26, 2011 at 1:31 pm
(7) Trek 4Ever says:

Before watching 60 Minutes, I didn’t think Lance was into it. Afterward watching it, I think he’s another Barry Bonds. It would be nice if both would “man up” and admit it.

May 26, 2011 at 3:16 pm
(8) Cindy says:

Not only is EPO doping a problem but so is doping your own RBCs. A while back there was a “rumor” that Armstrong was doping his own blood. A doctor takes out blood, the athlete works to bring the RBCs back up and then gets injected with his own blood…leading to a high RBC count saturated with O2. This could also be used to “pass” an EPO test. If you’ve been taking EPO and need to lower your count, simply remove, test, pass, and then reinsert. Not hard to figure out how they did it, but it’s still wrong. I’m wondering what Mike Hanns above has cheated on…sounds like you condone this behavior which has no place in professional sports. Its cheating and fake, period.

May 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm
(9) Pete says:

Is there honor among liars?

May 26, 2011 at 7:39 pm
(10) Bob says:

Lance is clean. As stated, 500 plus tests and no one found anything. What we have here are a bunch of sour grapes, pissed off because they doped and still could not beat or stay with him. Lance is the man and if you have a problem with that then go watch a golf game or better yet bowling instead of bike racing

May 26, 2011 at 9:07 pm
(11) Melanie says:

Of course he doped. How else could he have won seven times!

May 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm
(12) Peter says:

Seems like everyone who gets caught doping, loses their bicycling profession, and finds that their only source of potential income is writing a book, finds that they need a hook. Can’t be a loser and sell books, so write something that everyonme is curious about. Lance got tested before, during and after the races. The French were really trying to make their case, and they could not. Put it to rest. Every once in a while a true champion emerges. People should respect that.

February 12, 2012 at 10:33 pm
(13) Timmy says:

Armstrongsuks…You need to go through what Lance went through dealing with his cancer. Having seen what cancer has done to several people, and being with some of them when they passed away, I could care less what the hell Lance did. He won his biggest battle before he won his first TdF…and that fight isn’t necessarily over either. I watched him win his first TdF title while sitting with my 17 yr old nephew as he lay dying from AML… my nephew lost while Lance won. That’s why Lance motivates me.