Today the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) announced that it will release the evidence totalling over 1,000 pages that it has compiled in the investigation against Lance Armstrong in a case that it calls "the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen."
Simultaneously the USADA is handing this evidence over to international cycling's governing body, the UCI, which can then either uphold the recommended lifetime ban and removal of career wins imposed by the USADA or appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. This appeal is unlikely as Armstrong said in August that he would no longer contest the USADA charges against him.
The most powerful and compelling pieces of the testimony will likely be the sworn statements provided by eleven former teammates of Armstrong on the U.S. Postal squad. According to the USADA, those riders are: Frankie Andreu, Michael Barry, Tom Danielson, Tyler Hamilton, George Hincapie, Floyd Landis, Levi Leipheimer, Stephen Swart, Christian Vande Velde, Jonathan Vaughters and David Zabriskie. Each has been suspended for their own doping activities, though the length of those suspensions has not been announced at the time of this writing. George Hincapie acknowledged his participation in doping in a statement posted on his website.
Neither Armstrong nor his representatives have responded to these most recent developments, though in his August announcement that he was no longer contesting the USADA allegations, he called the investigation an "unconstitutional witch hunt."
- Lance Armstrong's Statement Announcing Decision to No Longer Contest USADA Charges
- Report: Former teammates testify against Armstrong, receive suspensions themselves
- Lance targeted again: USADA brings doping charges
- Met Lance Armstrong (and he was a little stiff)
- Nothing Sticks to Lance in U.S. Justice Department investigation
- Former teammate Tyler Hamilton says Lance was a Doper
- Is there anything Lance can't do?
- Drugs and Doping in Professional Cycling
- All About Lance Armstrong
- Lance Armstrong: a photo gallery of a life in cycling
- Books by and about Lance Armstrong