1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

David Fiedler

Riding With Your Pet

By February 23, 2010

I'm always fascinated by people riding with their pets. You'll see a little dog in a front basket, or perhaps a larger one being pulled in a carrier on the back like you'd use for kids. I've seen other people with modified, specially-designed platform trailers that allow their dog to be paraded around around town in regal majesty.

I don't have pets so I don't know anything about riding with animals. Unless you count my kids, har har. But I'm curious about this, because it looks like a lot of fun. Does it take any persuading to get the dog to go for it the first time? How about problems with jumping out?

Please share . . . how you do take your pet(s) along when you ride? Comment below.

Related articles:

| Twitter | Facebook | Newsletter Signup | Discussion Forum |

Comments

February 23, 2010 at 8:06 am
(1) Kathy D. says:

I have a small dog and she loves riding with me. The first time I took her out, I just put her into a basket that I had attached to the bike and walked the bike up and down the street so that she could get used to being in it.
I also secure her leash (and use a harness instead of a collar) to the basket as a precaution against her trying to jump out if she gets spooked by something or sees another dog.
I also purchased a WalkyDog bicycle leash so that she can run beside my bike while I am riding. She LOVES this!! She is small and can only go so far running beside a bike, but as far as keeping her exercised and happy, this is our absolute favorite thing.
So, in our world, dog + bike = happy happy dog.

February 23, 2010 at 1:48 pm
(2) Nikita Cat says:

My Daddy is The Cycling Dude (http://www.cyclingdude.com).

He has never taken me on a bike ride ever.

The thought never even passed through his pretty human head, not once in 12 years!

What I want to know is…Is it only Dogs that get to experience this activity? ;-D

BTW, I just Tweeted this so I hope you get some good feedback, from my fellow Critter Twitters! ;-D

March 1, 2010 at 9:26 am
(3) Lisa B says:

We have cycled with our pets for 20 years. We have a Burley which we filled with pillows to provide a ride fit for a King. The expression on people’s faces was priceless when they would see two little Pomeranian faces peeking out.

I also have a basket mounted on the rack of my recumbent. I have a soft liner in it. To keep our pooch safe, I hook the BOTTOM of the dog harness to the bottom of the basket. It does raise your center of gravity a bit, which you need to compensate for.

Be careful the first few times to make sure your mutt doesn’t try to escape. I haven’t had any trouble with attempted escapes. Good luck1

March 4, 2010 at 12:32 pm
(4) Melanie says:

I have a basket and a backpack for my chi/terrier mix. I use the backpack in the colder weather because it can get hot with it on. She loves it so much, she’ll fall asleep in it. I use the basket for warmer weather and it comes with a tether hookup so they can’t jump out. It’s a good thing too, because she doesn’t like it when another bicycle passes us. It’s a little hard to get used to the extra weight at the front. I also have a dog trailer that I pull with three dogs in it. They love it. I rescued another dog this year so I’ll be pulling three in the back and one up front. Seems like a lot of work but they absolutely love it!

March 4, 2010 at 6:16 pm
(5) Ed Poll says:

I use riding as a training / exercise modality for my Boxer, weighs about 53#. I’ll ride about 10 to 15 minutes, covers 1 mile, more or less, and he seems to be happy. He follows well since I’ve trained him to ride with me without knocking me over … And I’m as alert as I can be for sudden external sounds that could scare him. When I’m done with this, I then go on my own more serious ride.

March 4, 2010 at 8:25 pm
(6) Todd D. says:

My 25# cocker spaniel goes to work with me every day and goes to all meetings, with the exception of medical offices and restaurants. She’s at rest most of the day under my credenza, but early evenings goes for a 2 to 3 mile run (she trots along side my bike).

March 5, 2010 at 7:34 am
(7) Felisa says:

When my chocolate lab, Tailor, was a puppy, my b/f (at the time) and I thought it would be great to bring Tailor on our week-long cycling trip in VT. We were very excited and pictured everyone having a great time and stopping at tons of large fields to play with Tailor. We got a trailer designed for dogs, helped acclimate Tailor, booked dog-friendly hotels, and went to VT.

I won’t go through all the details, but the week did end with my former boyfriend ceremoniously tossing the dog trailer into a dumpster. The week included:
- Tailor didn’t like being in the back and would cry. He was only happy if one of us rode behind the trailer.
- He was a puppy at the time with tons of energy. We didn’t see all those play time fields that we thought we would so he was pretty antsy. He chewed the zipper so we makeshift fixed it.
- Halfway through a 50 mile day, a trailer tire blew. We had a spare tube…but realized our pump couldn’t accomodate that valve type. My b/f had to pull the trailer for a few miles with the flat. The other tire blew a few days later. We were prepared, but the blow bent the axle (thes trailers weren’t designed really well this long ago) so the trailer was a little wobbly for the last 60 miles of the trip.

As an adult, Tailor now jogs along side my bike for short rides, but we’ll (or I will) always have the memory of that grand old trip!
- Speaking of the b/f, he couldn’t get comfy pulling the trailer so instead of swapping occasionally, I towed the trailer for 90% of the miles.

March 8, 2010 at 9:36 am
(8) lee harwell says:

I have a 14# black yorkie/poo. she has been riding in her basket since she was 10 weeks old. she loves cruising with us. now, when i get the bike out, she nearly knocks it over because she wants in the basket that bad. basket is a little small for her now, but i keep her strapped in by her leash/collar. she managed to jump out after a squirrel last summer. she has fond memories and has not tried again. i love taking her riding with me.

March 15, 2010 at 11:21 pm
(9) Carlos Morales says:

The EASTSIDE BIKE CLUB in Los Angeles has three members who regularly bring their small dogs with us on our community rides. We are a community bike club that hosts two rides a week, on Tuesday Nights and Saturday Mornings. Our group welcomes all ages and abilities, our rides are usually between 12 – 30 miles in length.

I am one of the members that carry a dog in a backpack and sometimes in a front basket. The other dogs that come to our rides are also carried on a backpack and one member had a special back harness made for his dog and it looks like he is holding on the cyclist back.

The dogs LOVE coming on rides. We always carry their leash so that when we make a pit-stop they can walk around.

TRAINING YOUR DOG

It was fairly easy to get them used to riding. I basically started out by placing the dog in the backpack for about 10 minutes at a time and just walk around the house or yard, After the third time I placed him in the backpack and hopped on the bike. We both never looked back!

Community members who see the dogs riding with us absolutely love it, they take pictures, video, slow their cars to talk to us and the dogs as we ride. Sometimes during parades or special events they become instant celebrities.

The dogs know when we are leaving the house for work or to run errands or if we are going on a bike ride. They have a sense that seems to know when I am going on a ride even before I pull out my bike or the backpack.

Some advice for anyone who is taking their pet on a ride is to be prepared to give them water during and restroom breaks. The only thing we have to adjust at times is a restaurant when we stop for a bite to eat, we have to find one that has patio seating.

Try it, You both won’t regret it.

June 17, 2012 at 11:30 am
(10) martin sheehy says:

Have a look at http://www.dogslifecarriers.com for ease of riding with you dog. DogsLife carriers let you ride with your 0 – 12 kg dog on your front or your back. And you simply unclip the shoulder straps to put them down and let them run.

July 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm
(11) cathy says:

I have a small yorkshire terrior, and she likes to ride on the riding lawnmower with me. I have to hold her with one arm/hand, and drive with the other. I get very tired, but she loves it.
So I bet she would like riding on a bicycle too.
I may try to come up with a way that we could do it.
I’d love to get out and get some exercise, sounds like a fun way she and I could get out together on the trail where people bike and walk.

July 24, 2012 at 4:12 pm
(12) Clare says:

My boyfriend is getting a dog for his birthday and he really wants a small dog (probably a Chihuahua mix) and he’s also a big biker and wants to be able to bike with his new little friend. I am looking for a bag to get him for his birthday that he could bike with a dog in. He doesn’t have the dog yet, so that’s kind of a difficulty knowing the exact size, but do you have a recommendation? I’d like something that the dog won’t be able to move around to much and throw off his balance but also something that’s kind of cool. I’ve been looking into chrome bags but I don’t know if a backpack or a messenger bag would be better.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

December 18, 2012 at 7:54 am
(13) LP says:

I use the bike tow leash to take my 70lb dog on bike rides. The low attachment point and flexible thang keeps them from pulling you over. Tried the walky dog and did not like it, was very hard to get off and on the bike with that long bar sticking out.

February 16, 2014 at 5:30 pm
(14) Alan Wakes says:

anyone know of a suitable cycle carrier for a 2 year old bichon

February 27, 2014 at 5:25 pm
(15) Tammie says:

where might I find a backpack for a pug like the one that is on this page