1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

David Fiedler

Best Riding Songs

By April 17, 2008

So I ditched work and went on a really long ride yesterday. Out in the country, low/no traffic roads - there were times when I went for an hour and saw no cars. (In that situation, I'm cool with headphones, where I generally don't recommend it going through busier traffic.) And I was thinking, as I was flying along listening to my tunes, that it would be interesting to hear what's on people's lists of best music to ride to.

Here are six that would definitely be on my list:

• Runaround - Blues Traveler
  • Right Now - Van Halen
  • Keep Pushin' - REO Speedwagon
  • Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil
  • Fighter - Christina Aguilera
  • Runnin' Down a Dream - Tom Petty

I could ride for a really long time with those tracks going in the background. What would be on your list of best riding music? Comment below.

Comments

April 17, 2008 at 8:41 am
(1) Kathy Francis says:

Best Music to Cycle by:
Wheels – Emilylou Harris
Thunder on the Mountain – Bob Dylan
Take me home country road – John Denver
Jumpin Jack Flash – Rolling Stones
Move it on over – George Thorogood
The Levee’s gona break – Bob Dylan
Let the four winds blow – Taj Mahal
Call Me the Breeze -lynyrd Skynyrd

April 17, 2008 at 11:09 am
(2) Andrea says:

I find the Smurf’s song of “fa la la la…..” very motivating especially on a excruciating climb.

April 17, 2008 at 11:09 am
(3) Margie Hilburn says:

Even though it’s a child’s song…Ride My Bike by Tom Paxton. It makes you want to jump on your bike and go and keep going.

Some current songs on my MP3 player for riding…..
-City of New Orleans – Arlo Guthrie
-Born To Be Wild – Steppenwolf
-Shambala – Three Dog Night
-It’s a Beautiful Morning – Young Rascals
-In The Summertime – Mungo Jerry
-And It Stoned Me – Van Morrison

April 17, 2008 at 11:12 am
(4) Patrick says:

A Daisy Chain for Satan – My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult. Am I Sexy? – Lords of Acid. Born to Raise Hell – Motorhead.

April 17, 2008 at 11:30 am
(5) mitch says:

The one song that really goes over and over in my head while riding (headphones OR imagination) is Police on my Back by the Clash. Especially the “I been running Monday Tuesday Wednesday
Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Runnin Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
Saturday Sunday” Part.

And the last few times I’ve gone for a ride my my ipod, it seems like AC/DC’s It’s a Long Way to the Top always comes on while I’m grinding up a big hill. Very appropriate, AND inspirational!

April 17, 2008 at 11:30 am
(6) Diana B. says:

Classical music!

First movement of Beethoven’s 6th Symphony (“Pastorale”)
“In the Hall of the Mountain King” from the “Peer Gynt Suite” of Grieg (especially for going up hills)
First Movement of Mendelssohn’s 4th Symphony (“Italian”)
Overture to “The Barber of Seville” by Rossini
“Rondo alla Turca” from Mozart’s “Sonata in C,” K. 330 (for sprinting)

April 17, 2008 at 11:30 am
(7) Dave Maxwell says:

We can ride hundreds of miles on ‘closed’ trails (rails and closed roads) around our area so riding with tunes is relatively safe. I also coach Spinning and have a huge collection of ‘ridable’ songs for all types of terrain.

Some of my favorites are:

U2- Beautiful Day
Deep Purple- Burn
Blues Travelers- Runaround
Lenny Kravitz- Fly Away
Techno- Sandstorm

Spin a Wheel!
Mad Max
Spokane Washington

April 17, 2008 at 11:43 am
(8) Chris Pollett says:

I use Pain by Nickleback for climbs
Firestarter by Prodigy for sprints
and Pressure by Genuine and belly when catching someone.
These 3 are on every setup I use and in a place I can find them.

April 17, 2008 at 11:57 am
(9) Bruce says:

I prefer listening to the birds and the sounds of nature. Listening with headphones is not wise. You don’t hear me when I pass “ON your left” and may not hear horns or other warnings.
Leave the headphones at home.

Bruce

April 17, 2008 at 12:46 pm
(10) Tracy says:

I am thinking more along the lines of:
Static-x, Cannibal, I am not the one;
Tool, Jail house love

Anything that is heavy works for me, especially riding alone; in response to the person above, I don’t wear my music on group rides as a rule, only on solo excursions.

April 17, 2008 at 12:53 pm
(11) willo4 says:

Best noise while I ride:Left over crack-athiest anthem; NOFX–the idiots have taken over or stickin in my eye.

April 17, 2008 at 12:59 pm
(12) Bruce (a different Bruce from #10) says:

Riding with headphones on a quiet road is just as dangerous as on a busy road. With little traffic, a riders’s “traffic guard” goes down and so he/she is even more likely to get an unpleasant surprise if they’re listening to music. I agree with the previous Bruce who posted in this topic…enjoy the sounds of nature as you ride. They’re fast disappearing from our world as we overdevelop our land.

Bruce

April 17, 2008 at 1:03 pm
(13) S says:

Queen’s Fat Bottomed Girls and Bicycle Ride!

April 17, 2008 at 1:52 pm
(14) Darrell says:

Pain – Nickleback (for hills)
Next Contestant – Nickleback (catching the group)

April 17, 2008 at 2:03 pm
(15) Chris Pollett says:

I think if you are listening at a reasonable level things are fine. I do 4+ hour rides and it gets a bit lonely out there. I never mt. bike with them on but on long road rides its not an issue. I can hear cars fine. I have connected with cars and never while having headphones on. Next you will say I can’t run with them either.
PS Bruce, I have been passed seldom and when I do I see it coming. In the country if someone reels me in you have a couple k’s to prepare.

April 17, 2008 at 2:06 pm
(16) Dave says:

Foo Fighters – My Hero works for me!!

April 17, 2008 at 2:13 pm
(17) CLBlood says:

Hiss of the Tires, by Michelin Carbon
Alarm Call, by Red-Tailed Hawk
Random Chatter, by Training Partner
Whistles, by Helmet Holes
Grunts & Groans, by Yours Truly

April 17, 2008 at 2:17 pm
(18) CLBlood says:

I forgot
Hey, by Passing Friends, and
Free Jazz, by Band of Starlings

April 17, 2008 at 2:38 pm
(19) VERNA says:

I like running w/the devil by van halen. Magic by Triumph. my bicycle from queen

April 17, 2008 at 3:24 pm
(20) Valerie says:

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I teach reaction cycling and will check out the music for my classes. A great one by Charlie Daniels — The Devil…

Valerie

April 17, 2008 at 3:33 pm
(21) rick says:

WHEELS BY RESTLESS HEART
SLOW RIDE BY FOGHAT
SEPARATE WAYS BY JOURNEY
GONNA HITCH A RIDE BY BOSTON
DUST IN THE WIND BY KANSAS
ENJOY

April 17, 2008 at 3:38 pm
(22) Les says:

A few of my favs for riding are
Goin to California-Led Zeppelin
Snow (Hey oh)-Red Hot Chili Peppers
I Am the highway- Audio Slave
Read My Mind-The Killers
Running on Empty-Jackson Browne
Bittersweet Symphony-The Verve

April 17, 2008 at 4:41 pm
(23) Ron in TX says:

Bravo Diana B. I second your choices but might add Morning Song to Mountain King, oh, and Wagner’s Forging of the Rainbow Bridge from his Ring Cycle. In fact just about anything from The Ring. No electronics needed.

April 17, 2008 at 5:45 pm

(27) tarayak says:

You shook me all night long – AC/DC
Mama Kin – Aerosmith
Walking on Sunshine (speed)- Katrina & the Waves
Cinderella (big hill) – Walflowers
Running down a dream (speed)- Tom Petty
Rising (big hill) “The Boss”

April 18, 2008 at 12:16 am
(28) Sue S. says:

I always ride with my ipod….turned down VERY LOW of course!! My faves are Stones, Santana Allman bros.

April 18, 2008 at 6:06 am
(29) scott a. says:

I am a huge music nut, but for some reason I prefer riding without. Just a little to spooky for me.

April 18, 2008 at 8:28 am
(30) lee206 says:

Bicycle Race – Queen – Hands down.

April 18, 2008 at 12:30 pm
(31) P.J. C says:

I am new to riding but I love a few songs to ride to

Survivor……Destiny Child
Magic Carpet Ride…Jefferson Airplane
American Woman …Lenny Kravitz

April 19, 2008 at 7:30 am
(32) Terry says:

Ain’no mountain high enouth
Another day in paradise
get over it

April 19, 2008 at 12:00 pm
(33) Trisch says:

These songs I found through hip-hop class when we would do our strength training, but I absolutely love them when I’m riding:
-Calabria – Enur ft Natasja
-Dark Beat – Louie Devito
-Sweet Caroline (Techno Remix) – Louie Devito and Angelo Venuto

As for this ear bud drama – I always ride with something in my right ear, whether it be my ipod or my cell headset. I leave my left ear clear this way I can hear when things are comming – no different than some motorists. So next time, please don’t judge.

April 20, 2008 at 11:52 am
(34) mickey ciranni says:

Making it up a long climb … Survivor by Destiny Child!

April 21, 2008 at 1:51 am
(35) Kiril, The Cycling Dude says:

Interesting question, and quite a variety of nominees.

Though I’m not one to ride in such a manner I’d like to nominate 3 songs, hee, hee. ;-D

The Bicyclist’s Song

Bad Cyclist

I Love to Get on A Bike and Go, Go, Go!

All 3 can be found here. ;-D

April 22, 2008 at 11:00 am
(36) Becca says:

I agree with Trisch. I also ride with the music turned down low, and only an earbud in my right ear. I always can hear cars approaching, and can easily carry on conversation with cyclists around me (although I usually ride without music on group rides).
My essential songs? Well, there are many, but here are my current favorites:
Tickle It by Mocean Worker
Laughing by Winter Pills
Been Caught Stealing by Jane’s Addiction
Rehab by Amy Winehouse
Missing by Beck
Get Up by James Brown (especially for getting up those hills!)

April 23, 2008 at 5:56 pm
(37) Bruce03 says:

I have to agree with the other Bruces as well as with Kiril and some of the others…I do NOT ride with anything in my ears except the wind. It’s too dangerous, and I might also miss things, such as bird songs. When I was street jogging, it was the same… nothing in the ears.

April 25, 2008 at 10:08 am
(38) ray says:

anyone ever hear of clip on over the ear phones. you can hear both at a reasonable level. songs I like (pushing) Jesus built my hotrod by Ministry The Race by Yellow While riding in gamelands I like music by Dead can Dance Enigma and Native American Music. Also what about using a mirror?? One more thing are you also saying that DEAF people are not allowed to enjoy riding???

April 25, 2008 at 10:04 pm
(39) Kevin in north Texas says:

I cannot believe that some of you fellow roadies have not listed Joe Satriani. I can promise you that if you will listen to:
1)Ceremony
2)Crystal Planet
3)Raspberry Jam Delta V, and
4)The Eight Steps
to name just a few, you will be buying or downloading Joe Satriani onto your MP3s. It is high energy, instrumental, awesome music that will push you harder on the road or faster on the trainers. These particular songs are on the “The Electric Joe Satriani” CD.

May 7, 2008 at 3:16 pm
(40) Jeff says:

For some reason, what works best for me is Zeppelin IV on repeat. Even the slower songs like Stairway keep my pace going.

June 29, 2008 at 1:53 pm
(41) Joe says:

Fuel…. by Metallica get’s the heart pumpin !!!

January 15, 2009 at 7:45 am
(42) Kris says:

Well I ride BMX, but if im havin like chill sesh, it would be:
Market Girl by Headlights
C’mere by Interpol
Take A Walk On The Wildside by Lou Reed
Little Sister by Queens Of The Stone Age

All of those have awesome beats that just help you flow so well.

For those crazy sesh’s itd be:
Knee Deep by Job For A Cowboy
Forsaken by With Blood Comes Cleansing
coughKIDcough by Eatmewhileimhot
or anything else by Job For A Cowboy, those songs just get you crazy pumped, i landed my first double whip to Knee Deep haha awesomest day ever!

January 15, 2009 at 6:29 pm
(43) Wesley says:

signs – five man electrical band
don’t cry out – shiny toy guns
get your kicks on route 66 – chuck berry
the breaks – kurtis blow
rappers delight – sugar hill gang
go your own way – fleetwood mac
let it ride – BTO
radar love – golden earing
if you want me to stay – sly and the family stone
white rabbit – jefferson airplane

July 24, 2009 at 10:02 am
(44) Yalcin Turan says:

any song from “Mezarkabul” (aka Pentagram)

but especially;
- pain
- lions in a cage
- ftwda

August 4, 2009 at 10:21 pm
(45) Roy says:

Thanks for all the cool ideas! Here is some of my playlist that has not been listed on here yet. There’s some variety on the BPM (Beats per Min.) of each song:

Song – artist

Rawkfist – Thousand Foot Krutch
Gipsy Woman – Generation 90
Girlfriend – Avril Lavigne
Song 2 – Blur
Come out and play – The Offspring
More Human than Human – White Zombie
A Little Less Conversation (JXL Radio Edit Remix) – Elvis vs JXL
Eye of the Tiger – Survivor

Enjoy!
Roy

February 3, 2010 at 1:01 pm
(46) Hugh McNally says:

Not sure how everyone has missed Kraftwerk’s Tour de France, especially their TdF Soundtracks collection (http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tour-de-france-remastered/id332273962) which goes beyond the song they released in the 1980s. If Aéro Dynamik doesn’t get you going, nothing will. The wacky Senor Coconut does a Merengue cover version of TdF (http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tour-de-france/id298905527?i=298905596).

Sir Mix-a-Lot’s “Ride” works too, as should any of the classical pieces using in Breaking Away (Mendelssohn’s 4th Symphony, etc.).

I always found it interesting that 2 songs with the same title–”Push It”–always pop into my head when riding (one by Salt-n-Pepa, one by Garbage).

Please skip the headphones at all times when operating your bicycle on the road, it’s dangerous and illegal. Let the music just play in your head.

February 6, 2010 at 7:07 pm
(47) oldgrad68 says:

The String Quartet “BOND”! There is nothing like them or what they do to stogy old classical music.

February 11, 2010 at 1:16 pm
(48) Donna says:

Living in rural Louisiana we have some excellent country roads great for cycling with Little or no traffic. Some of my favorites…Also great spinning songs!
R O C K In The USA … John Cougar Mellencamp

Get a Haircut – George Thorogood
Blitzkrieg Bop – Ramones
Betty Lou’s Getting Out Tonight – Bob Seger
Scarlet Begonias – Grateful Dead

February 13, 2010 at 5:32 am
(50) Spinner says:

At the 2000 bike expo in L.A. I saw a cool product – it was a music player holder that mounts on your down tube with two very small but weatherproof high fidelity speakers designed to mount in your bar ends. This looked like a great solution to get your acoustic stoke any time you want. I can’t remember the name, and don’t know if it was updated to hold mp3 players – but I’ve wished I had one.

February 13, 2010 at 4:03 pm
(51) Steve-O says:

You want heavy, baby? METALLICA gives you heavy!
The latest album, Death Magnetic is great riding music, and the song My Apocalypse is an awesome riding tune.

April 14, 2010 at 2:37 pm
(52) Karen says:

I agree with Bruce about the not riding with headphones on to a point, but I do ride with them and I make sure that I keep them down very l low to where I can just hear them, and still hear traffice and people talking while passing me, even on bike paths, but especially on busy streets. I have warned people well in advance that I am coming and they have their headphones on so high they don’t even realize when I am right up on them. I have gotten some dirty lucks by these people and I thought if they were having to use their headphones, at least keep them down real low like I do. I only turn them up more when there is no one around or I am not in traffic.

June 4, 2010 at 6:36 am
(53) Andrew says:

Tour de France – Kraftwerk

July 9, 2010 at 4:10 am
(54) john3:16 says:

Music is a great way to find that lil extra while ridding…. i have many songs i listen too but the 1 that stands out is Diesel Power by The Prodigy… Enjoy

May 16, 2011 at 12:04 am
(55) feather says:

ramones and early kinks, the sonics and the wipers

May 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm
(56) Stacy says:

I ride with music, every ride. I would never make it if something wasn’t pushing me. I will admit I tend to ride on the bike trails so I am not in traffic but with that said. What good does it do to hear a car coming up on you at 40 or 60 mph?? If they are going to hit you you have a few seconds, maybe to know it’s coming.

June 11, 2011 at 11:11 am
(57) Sjoerd says:

Hey, I teach spinninglessons, here is 1 full lesson:

Owl City – RPDM Firefly remix.
Von routen – the avenue. RTPN remix.
Caro Emerald – Stuck
Milk&sugar – Hey nah nah nah
Pendulum – witchcraft
Tiësto ft. Christian burns. – In the dark
Aerosmith – Walk this way
Pendulum – Propane nightmares. Celdweller remix
Lady gaga – Born this way
Epic score – Pedal to the metal
Beastie boys – We got the power RTPN remix
Bomfunk MC – Freestyler

Have fun!

June 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm
(58) Grog1984 says:

Had to add my favs

Brand New Key by Melanie (it may be about roller skates, but it still works)

Handlebars by Flobots

August 17, 2011 at 11:49 am
(59) greco says:
August 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm
(60) Xavier says:

stop crying your heart out – oasis
a message – coldplay
one day – matisyahu
little wonders – rob thomas

November 20, 2011 at 4:37 am
(61) Mike says:

I agree with those who don’t like earphones. I like to hear what’s coming, but http://www.bikeboombeam.com has a combo light/mp3 player that works for me. Just a rear facing speaker that pumps out quite enough volume.
As for music – a bit of a mix. Creedence (Proud Mary, Bad Moon Rising), Deep Purple (Smoke on the Water, Black Night), Beethoven’s 9th – just the choral bit in full swing, Wagner’s Ride of the Valkyrie, Handel’s Hornpipe, Master’s Apprentices – Turn up your Radio, BTO, Dr Hook (Cover of the Rolling Stone), Rossini’s William Tell Overture – just the last part. That piece and Valkyrie are good for downhill and overtaking other cyclists (and make you feel a dope if you’re overtaken while playing them)!

January 8, 2012 at 3:38 am
(62) Jason says:

I can see that my taste in music is different than other posters, very different. While I listen to metal in my mix the techno, dubstep and house blends are my go to. I want to hear something that can keep up with me while I ride, music that I can set a pace to, overriding your music is just wrong.. I like mine fast and hard (you gutter minded people).

My favs:

Bassnectar – Above and Beyond, The Matrix, Lights (all songs by artist)
Deadmau5 – Raise Your Weapon, Ghosts N Stuff, Lack of a Better Name (most all songs by artist)
Skrillex – Reptile’s Theme (for the hard climbs and those mortal kombat lovers), The Devils Den, Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, Kill Everybody (half of all songs by artist)
Sick Puppies – You’re Going Down, War, In It for Life
Breathing Theory – Parasite, Broken Wings
Powerman 5000 – Tonight the Stars Revolt, When Worlds Collide, Danger is GO!
Metallica – The Judas Kiss, Fuel
Saosin – Deep Down
Slipknot – (sic), Wait and Bleed, People = Shit, My Plague
Soil – Halo
System of a Down – Sugar
Saliva – Hunt you Down
Fear Factory – Back the Fuck Up

If you’re riding into traffic or hitting the bend hard keep the volume low, on the flats and straights crank it. Its best to have headphones that have a pause button on the cord.

April 7, 2012 at 5:01 pm
(63) jacob says:

311-Amber
Pixies-Cactus
Pixies-hey
Pixies-carabou
Sublime-Caress me down
Sublime-santeria
Nirvana-Come as you are
Nirvana-Smells like teen spirit
Hoobastank-Crawling in the dark

April 16, 2012 at 5:34 pm
(64) JonnyB says:

Anything by Trailerhead. That Epic style with no words, other than Latin, is fantastic.

July 17, 2012 at 9:16 am
(65) CycleStorm says:

You need the best songs that inspire some serious fight, especially when going into the wind;

1. Fight to Survive- Theme from Bloodsport
2. Mortal Kombat Theme
3. Let’s Get Ready to Rumble
4. Animatrix Congo Fury Remix
5. Fire- DJ Scooter
6. Hockey Party Jam Mega Remix

And for the slower, relaxing
6. I’ve been everywhere- Johnny Cash

September 8, 2012 at 10:04 am
(67) Ponsonby Britt says:

Hitch A Ride – Boston
Roll On Down The Highway – Bachman-Turner Overdrive

January 30, 2013 at 8:27 am
(68) Haz says:

Has to be queens bicycle race, don’t stop me now, breakthru, we will rock you and we are the champions

January 30, 2013 at 8:32 am
(69) Haz says:

Queen: breakthru, bohemian rhapsody, don’t stop me now, we will rock you, we are the champions, one vision and of course BICYCLE RACE!!!!!

April 17, 2013 at 3:55 pm
(70) Bruno Kos says:

I am surprised noone mentioned the good old classic: Bob Seger – Roll Me Away

July 2, 2013 at 1:25 pm
(71) Jim says:

Not enough U2 here.

August 7, 2013 at 3:09 pm
(72) Maggie says:

Road to Escondido–E Clapton and JJ Cale

August 29, 2013 at 3:10 am
(73) Darren says:

I start slowly and build it up
Maid of new orleans
Impossible Dream
Chavaliers De Sangreal
March of the Templars
Heart of Courage
Fun We are young
Marco Oriani’s – I’ll tell you everything about livin free
Rolling with the deep
Anything could happen
I got soul but I’m not a soldier
The Cult She sells sanctuary