1. Sports

Ever think about trying out a recumbent bike? Recumbent bikes are ones where the rider sits lower and behind the pedals, almost like what you'd get if you cross a chaise lounge with an exercise bike.

Recumbents are good for people who may have back/shoulder problems which makes sitting hunched over a bike in a traditional posture problematic. Also, the recumbent bike typically has a wider, more comfortable seat that is shaped much like a regular chair, which can alleviate any problems a person might have with backside soreness. For all these reasons, a good many recumbent bikes are the preferred choice for cyclists who use them on extended tours.

Here are a couple of videos of recumbents in action:

Ever ride a recumbent bike? Share your experience with others. Comment below. Or, you can read more about recumbents and other types of non-typical bikes.

Comments

September 26, 2007 at 10:15 pm
(1) KenW says:

after years of thinking about it and talking about it, I made my own recumbent bike out of two 27″ ten speed racers. Ive put 700 miles on it in 3 months, and I dont ride any of my other bikes anymore.

September 26, 2007 at 10:32 pm
(2) Dchiefransom says:

After riding road bikes for 3 years, I injured my knee and was off the bike for over a year. Before, my wrists, neck, and butt hurt after long rides. When I started riding again, on every ride after about 20 miles the seat I rode before would feel like it was covered with carpet tacks. I switched to a recumbent and all the discomfort has disappeared. I’m building up my “bent legs” at the same time I’m getting my cardio back in shape, and it’s a smoooooooth ride doing it.

September 26, 2007 at 11:23 pm
(3) Chris Jordan says:

From old Schwinn Stingrays to Varsitys to Continentals- with a few European makes in between- that naturally led me to recumbents, which were just beginning to gain popularity in California in 1974. For 6 years I did not want to leave the cycling group (or so I thought, but I actually did NOT leave- which I found out later!), in 1980 I switched to only recumbents. Recumbents are not a weird- freaky- nerdy group; just the opposite: 100% cycling, in a different and more comfortable way; as I found out in my 20s. Now in my older years 27 years later; I still ride and enjoy my recumbent- more laid back than ever- my “Natural High”! Of course, recumbents are no longer my little secret pleasure any more……. ;-)

September 27, 2007 at 9:27 am
(4) GregV says:

It is often said that recumbents are for cyclists with injuries. That line gets pretty tired after a while. You don’t have to be injured to enjoy comfortable, aerodynamic cycling. I’ve been “recumbent” since I was 25, and have pretty much lost interest in conventional bikes (with a few notable exceptions).

And it need not be an either/or equation. Find a bike store that has recumbents and give one a whirl. You may find yourself adding one to your stable. There are tons of configurations to choose from – cruisers, racers, trikes (yes, trikes!) — you really can find the bike that suits your riding style.

September 28, 2007 at 12:29 am
(5) MikeW says:

I’d ridden conventional diamond frame bicycles pretty much all my life since I was 8 or 9 years old. But as I got older I rode less and less simply because it was so uncomfortable to ride more than a mile or two. A year ago I bought a recumbent and it’s brought back all the joy of cycling I can remember! I ride now until I’m tired, not until my butt, back, neck, arms, wrists, hands, etc hurt so bad I can’t stand it. I look at my bicycle and see a joy and pleasure, not a pain machine. I know I can’t take it with me, but I’m gonna have it put in the box beside me when I go.

September 28, 2007 at 12:56 am
(6) Jim B. says:

Even better IMHO is the recumbent trike. Extremely comfortable and very stable. I very seldom use my normal road or mountain bike anymore. Riding the trike is so much fun that I use it every chance that I get.

I do some long tours and with a trailer behind it, it is the ultimate touring machine.

Recumbent trikes are fantastic!!!

September 28, 2007 at 7:38 am
(7) Mary says:

You don’t have to wait for a bad back or an injury to enjoy a recumbent — and the side benefit is that you can get back on it faster when the inevitable health problems and injuries do happen. I had a “right hook” encounter with an idiot driver (survived it because a recumbent doesn’t throw you head-first over the handlebars) and was off my crutches and on a suitable bike at least a month sooner than my orthopedist would have recommended for a conventional bike. People who have met up with urologists have noticed a similar advantage to riding recumbents.

September 28, 2007 at 12:34 pm
(8) takin' it easy says:

I got tired of the arse hatchet (yes, I know about proper bike fit, brooks saddles, etc) and tried a recumbent. Every time I think I should go back to a DF I get atop one and say no thanks. I say give a ‘bent or crank forward to every US citizen free of charge and make the roads cycling-friendly. What we end up saving on medical care and car-related social maladies will pay for the program in a few years.

August 24, 2010 at 12:54 am
(9) Biker Scott says:

I picked up a recumbent Catrike Expedition earlier this year due to a rotator cuff shoulder injury. It allowed me to keep riding for an extra 3 months this year, including 4 of the 6 weeks I had my arm in an immobilizing sling.

I had already been thinking of getting some sort of touring option within the next year or two, and this trike should work perfectly for that. Being heavier, the trike does seem to add enough rolling resistance that except in the case of decent headwinds it is slower than my road bike – but about the same speed as my Trek 7.5 fitness bike. However, having to take far fewer pain and numbness breaks on the trike on longer rides should somewhat offset the difference in speed loss from my Sequoia. Not to mention that in headwinds of over 20 mph the lower profile gives me a 3-5 mph sustained speed advantage.

I do not see giving up any of the bikes in the foreseeable future, except perhaps to hand down to one of my sons. As comfortable as the trike is, it does take some creativity mounting it on top of a Crown Victoria to get it to events, and unfortunately the small town I live in is 35 miles from the city that is the home to my local bike club. There just simply will be some rides that the convenience of putting one of the traditional bikes on the standard bike rack will be a necessity.

October 9, 2011 at 2:13 am
(10) Avery says:

Yes, these bikes are great! They are super comfortable and really not hard to get used to. I think the hardest part for me is picking a favorite style. I like how lowracers really cut down on wind resistance allowing you to hit incredible speeds..but I really am also drawn to Trikes, as they seem super comfortable and safe. I found this site kind of helpful if you’re interested in learning more http://recumbentbikeinfo.com/blog

I agree with Jim.. That is what is really, really making me want to go for the Trike. I love the idea of being able to haul a trailer and get out and ride for long periods of time.. Decisions!

October 14, 2011 at 2:38 am
(11) Avery says:

My apologies, the link above should be http://recumbentbikeinfo.com For some reason I think the blog was moved to the main page

July 21, 2012 at 11:09 am
(12) mike says:

Recumbents have changed my daughters life. Getting too old for training wheels, her new bike allows her to ride with us despite challenges she faces in life. Besides she’s the coolest kid on the block with her ride!